Table of Contents
- Best fly fishing in the world
- Best fly fishing locations in Europe
- Fly Fishing Vacations For Beginners (Best fly fishing vacation spots)
- Fly Fishing Destinations & Locations Summary
Fishing is one of the most relaxing pastimes. It’s a great way to escape the stress of everyday life, relax, and enjoy some time alone with nature.
Fly fishing vacations are perfect for people who love fishing but don’t have much time to devote to it. You can go on multi-day or overnight trips, where you fish in a variety of locations, and you can also take short fishing vacations.
If you have always dreamed of taking fly fishing trips but didn’t know where to start, we’ve compiled this list of the top 21 best fly fishing destinations.
These are the best places to fly fish in the world. These spots are home to some of the world’s most beautiful and unspoiled scenery and therefore are also a great place to learn about the art of fly fishing.
Best fly fishing in the world
Whether you are a beginner or an experienced fisherman, this list should help you decide which place you’d like to go on your next fishing trip.
There are several places in Iceland where you can go fly fishing, but the most famous are probably Hvammstangi, near the Arctic Circle, and Sólheimajökull, near the Vatnajökull glacier. Both places offer a wide range of fishing opportunities and are relatively close to Reykjavík, making them accessible for a weekend trip.
Australia has a lot of beautiful places for fly fishing, and they can be found all across the country. Some of Australia’s best fly fishing locations include the Flinders Ranges, Northern Territory, Gold Coast, and South East Queensland.
The United Kingdom
In the UK, there are a wide variety of fly fishing destinations that are ideal for visitors of all levels of experience. Whether you’re visiting for a short break or want to spend a week or more of your holiday fishing, you’ll find it easy to enjoy the best of the UK on your trip.
With over 400 miles of river and over 2,300 lakes, angling is incredibly popular in the UK. The River Test Valley, for example, is home to over 5,000 acres of river and lake fishing, providing a huge range of possibilities for every type of fly fishing enthusiast.
Brazil has several different ocean locations for fly fishing, and you can choose any one of them according to your preference. Some of the best include:
1. **Boa Viagem** – located in the state of Rio de Janeiro, Boa Viagem is a huge estuary where you can enjoy fly fishing on the river. The best time to go here is between April and August.
2. **Barra da Tijuca** is a popular spot for fly fishing near Rio de Janeiro. It is a beach in Rio de Janeiro, and you can fish there between April and July.
3. **Ilha do Mel** – another popular fly fishing location in Brazil. It is a beautiful island in the Atlantic Ocean, and you can enjoy fly fishing here between May and October.
4. **Angra dos Reis** – Angra dos Reis is a small town in the state of Rio de Janeiro. Between April and September, you can go there and fish in the sea.
There are many excellent fly fishing locations in Russia. The best locations include Lake Baikal, Lake Ladoga, and the Volga River. These areas offer excellent fishing opportunities, including Arctic char, grayling, salmon, and pike.
Canada has many great fishing locations, and you can find them anywhere from the Great Lakes region to the Rocky Mountains. The best spots include Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, Lake Huron, and Lake Superior. There are also plenty of other Canadian lakes that you can try out, including the Algonquin, Lake St. Francis, and Lake Nipigon. These areas are especially good for catching perch, walleye, trout, and northern pike.
Seychelles is a beautiful archipelago country located in the Indian Ocean. Its islands are mostly volcanic in origin, and the surrounding waters are known for their abundance of fish and underwater life. Here are some of the best fly fishing locations in Seychelles.
Mexico has a lot of great fishing spots, especially in the southern states. Check out the following locations:
• **Cancún** – Cancún is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country, and it offers a wide range of activities for tourists. The most common fishing spot in the area is Laguna Bacalar, a great spot to go if you’re interested in catching bonefish, tarpon, and other species.
• **Cozumel** – Cozumel is another great fishing location. It’s located in the Yucatán Peninsula, and it’s a popular destination for vacationers who enjoy diving, snorkelling, and other water sports. You can catch various species, including sailfish, dolphinfish, and other species.
• **Isla Mujeres** – Isla Mujeres is a small island off the coast of the Yucatán Peninsula. It’s located just off the eastern coast of Cancún, and it’s known for its white-sand beaches, turquoise waters, and beautiful sunset. It’s also a great place to go for scuba diving and snorkelling.
• **Isla Contoy** – Isla Contoy is another island off the coast of the Yucatán Peninsula. It’s located just south of Cozumel, and it’s famous for its white-sand beaches, crystal clear waters, and beautiful sunsets. It’s also a popular place for scuba diving and snorkelling.
Fly fishing in Mongolia is a fun and exciting experience. It is also possible to get some amazing photographs, thanks to its vast and beautiful landscapes. The best locations for fly fishing include Lake Khovsgol, Lake Khövsgöl, and Lake Khertse.
Guatemala has some of the best fly fishing locations globally, which can be found in the Petén region. Most of these areas are found along the Usumacinta River, which is considered one of the most pristine rivers in the world.
Other good spots include Laguna Chicanná, Laguna de la Culebra, Laguna Pasión, and Laguna Chichucá. You can also go for an expedition to the Lake of Izabal or visit some of the Mayan ruins that dot the country.
There are many great locations to catch fish in the Bahamas. Some of the best include Little Inagua Island, Great Exuma Island, and the Abacos Islands. Each of these places has its own distinct character and offers something different to visitors.
There are plenty of good fly fishing locations in Chile. Most of these are in the Pacific Ocean, but there are some freshwater streams. There are no specific places that are better than the others, but if you want to fish in the most popular locations in Chile, you can head to the La Araucanía Region, which has a lot of fishing spots.
Argentina’s best fly fishing locations are in the southern part of the country, where the river basins are rich with species. The most popular fishing spots include:
* Córdoba, with its beautiful lakes and rivers.
* Río de la Plata, where you can fish for the world-famous Argentinean blue and brown trout.
* San Juan, which has some of the best fishing spots in the country, is a must-visit for any angler.
* Cordillera, which is the home of the legendary rainbow trout.
The best fly fishing locations in Bolivia are the Madidi and Beni River Basins. These two regions are known for their huge concentrations of fish, and they are the perfect places to go for fly fishing.
The best fly fishing locations in New Zealand are around the North Island, particularly the Bay of Plenty region. You can find some of the best trout streams around Rotorua, Mount Maunganui, Mount Tarawera, Lake Tarawera, Whakatane, and Paeroa.
There are several places where you can fish for trout, salmon, and other freshwater species in Patagonia. Some of the best are the Rio Santa Cruz, Nahuel Huapi, and the El Colorado river, all located within the province of Neuquen.
Fly fishing in Belize is a very popular pastime, and the country has some excellent locations for this activity. If you’re looking to catch some trout, then the Fly Fishing Club of Belize has some great spots. For something different, try the Cayo Crawl in Toledo District. This is an underground river where you can wade in and find hundreds of trout swimming along with you.
Cuba is famous for its beautiful beaches, incredible wildlife, and landscapes. Places in Cuba for fly fishing are often in the mountains and along the coast. Some rivers flow into the sea where you can find the perfect spot to fish.
One of the best places to go fishing in Cuba is Playa Baracoa. This beach is known for its white sand and crystal clear waters. You will have a great time fishing in the water. In the water, you can catch everything from smallmouth bass to snook.
Tierra Del Fuego
Tierra del Fuego is a vast island in Argentina and one of the most remote places on Earth. It is located between Argentina and Chile and spans over 1,800 miles. The best fly fishing locations in Tierra del Fuego include: Laguna de los Colorados, Laguna del Sauce, Lago Blanco, Lago Aluminé, and Laguna Verde.
British Columbia has some of the best fly fishing locations in the world, and we recommend you to visit the following places to experience this sport to the fullest:
Kootenay River, Columbia River, Tieton River, and Skeena River.
Fly fishing is a great sport, and Sweden is one of the best countries to do it. It offers a wide variety of fish, and the scenery is amazing. For instance, you can go to Vättern Lake, which is considered one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. You can also go to the beautiful Ångerman River, which has a lot of trout.
The United States
The best fly fishing locations in the US include:
– **Alaska**: There are numerous opportunities to catch trout and salmon in Alaska. The most popular destinations are the Bristol Bay, Kenai, Matanuska-Susitna, and Chugach regions.
– **Arizona**: This state is known for its beautiful scenery and plenty of wildlife. The best places include the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, and Sedona.
– **California**: California is home to a vast variety of marine life, including whales, dolphins, and sharks. There are plenty of freshwater options, including the Sierra Nevada mountains, Lake Tahoe, and the Pacific Ocean.
Other locations include Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, and Washington.
Best fly fishing locations in Europe
We have compiled a list of the best fly fishing locations in Europe. You can check out our recommendations for the best places to go fishing in Europe here.
Austria is one of the top countries in Europe when it comes to fly fishing, and for a good reason.
The country is home to some of the most scenic river systems in Europe and some of the most unique and beautiful mountain ranges. There are some great spots that you can visit while fly fishing in Austria. Kundl: Kundl is a village located in the Austrian state of Styria.
The Kundl River is a famous trout stream that runs through this village. The river is known for its clear water and the abundance of trout in the area. This stream is one of the few remaining native European wild brown trout streams free of stocking. The village itself has been named a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its architecture.
Denmark is a beautiful country with a lot of great fishing locations. It’s a perfect place to go fly fishing if you want to experience all the country offers. You can fish the beautiful Danish rivers, such as the Oresund and the Elbe, with plenty of large brown trout. Another option is to head over to the coast, where you can fish the waters of the Skagerrak and Kattegat. You can also take advantage of the many lakes around the country.
France is another one of the top countries in Europe when it comes to fly fishing. There are a lot of different rivers in this beautiful country, and you can choose from the many different styles of fishing that are available there.
You can head to the famous French rivers such as the Garonne, Vézère, Dordogne, Allier, Loire, etc. The rivers of France are known for their abundance of brown trout and the large populations of other species. The country also has some great lakes for fly fishing.
Germany is known for its great hiking and biking trails, and it’s no surprise why so many people flock here to experience these activities. If you want to take advantage of the great hiking and biking trails in Germany, then you’ll want to take advantage of some great fly fishing spots while you’re in the area.
You can fly fishing on the German rivers, such as the Elbe, Neckar, Moselle, Saale, Danube, etc. The best part is that you don’t have to travel too far from your home to enjoy all the amazing fishing that Germany has to offer.
Ireland is a beautiful country with a lot of great fishing spots. There are a lot of different places where you can take advantage of the great fishing in Ireland, but there are a few of the best options for fly fishing in Ireland. One of the best places for fly fishing in Ireland is the River Barrow in County Cavan, known for its abundance of salmon and trout.
Fly Fishing Vacations For Beginners (Best fly fishing vacation spots)
Fly fishing vacation spots for beginners can range anywhere in the world. Some of the most popular locations are where you can fish without any experience or gear at all. These include places like the Colorado River, which offers a wide variety of fish species. You can also go to Alaska, where you can enjoy a truly unforgettable fishing experience.
The best fly fishing vacations for beginners often involve taking advantage of local knowledge and offering a unique experience that few other people can offer. It’s important to find out more about the area and ask for tips from locals to make sure you’re ready for your adventure.
Fly Fishing Destinations & Locations Summary
I hope you find this guide on “Where to go fly fishing” helpful and that it has helped you decide where to go for your next holiday and plan your fly fishing vacations.
If you are a beginner, I recommend that you stick to the rivers and lakes in your area. They are more likely to be less crowded, and you can spend more time fishing.
If you want to travel further afield, you should be able to find various places & locations to go fishing. As you become more experienced, you can start to venture further afield.